Thursday, December 4, 2008

All My Sons: family vs. society

The characters in Arthur Miller’s play, All My Sons are forced to make decisions where they can either choose to do what’s best for their family or what is best for society. In the case of Joe and Kate Keller they choose to make their decisions based on what will benefit their family. Joe expresses his views on how he feels family is what is most important when he tells Joe that everything he worked for in the company was for Joe, his family, saying “what the hell did I work for? That’s only for you, Chris, the whole shootin’ – match is for you!” (17). Later we find out that Joe also shipped off cracked cylinder heads knowing they might not hold up and could result in the death of pilots. When Chris finds this out we see his views; he believes in doing what is ethically right and what’s right for society as a whole not what may just bring benefits to ones family. Chris is furious and deeply hurt by his father’s actions. His father tries to back up what he did by saying “Chris, I did it for you, it was a chance and I took it for you. I’m sixty years old, when would I have another chance to make something for you? (70). Joe feels his actions are justified given he did for Chris but Chris feels otherwise. He is appalled and replies “for me! Where do you live, where have you come from? For me?—I was dying every day and you were killing my boys and you did it for me? What the hell do you think I was thinking of, the Goddam business?” (70). Chris feels what his father has done is wrong no matter what his motives were.

I think in general people should do what is best for society as a whole versus what is best for their individual family but it is hard to say this for every decision. Sometimes there are instances where one should consider what is best for their family before considering the entire society but families fall under the category of society so often doing what is right for society is also right for ones family.

2 comments:

Prototype said...

It's hard to choose between society and family, and joe makes a tough choice. But it messes up his family later on in his life. Sounds very much like an act of Karma

Hannah D said...

I agree that family and society should be thought of first in different situations. The impact should really be considered before the decision is made. In Joe's case, attempting to help his son only resulted in hurting him. Maybe the best way to help family is by helping society and making the world a better place for them to live.